If you find this post useful, please take one second to like, share, or tweet it. Thanks!
©2011 Shanna Lea (formerly Shanna Ohmes)
Rejuvelac is a fermented drink and tonic made from the process of sprouting grains. It is refreshing, nutritious and gives you an energy boost! Rejuvelac is a live fermented beverage that provides probiotics that restore and balance the good bacteria in your digestive system, correcting many digestive problems. Rejuvelac improves the health of your skin and aids your body in absorbing enzymes, oxygen and vitamins. Rejuvelac is rich in enzymes and vitamins B, C and E.
Making rejuvelac takes about 3-4 days and includes the process of sprouting the grain. See “How to Sprout Grains” for more complete directions. You can use several types of grains for making rejuvelac: soft wheat berries, rye, spelt, oat groats, Kamut, teff, millet, amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat, triticale or rice. Many people prefer rejuvelac made from rye berries.
How to Make Rejuvelac
- Soak 4 cups grain with water in a glass jar for 12-24 hours. Drain the water and cap with mesh lid and turn the jar upside down to finish draining. Rinse twice a day (or more if it’s hot), until the grains germinate.
- After the grain has sprouted, rinse one more time.
- Fill the jar with water, cap with mesh lid or secured cheesecloth. You need to keep the dust and flies out while the rejuvelac is fermenting.
- Set the jar on the countertop for 2 days at room temperature to ferment.
- Pour off the liquid into a pitcher and keep in the refrigerator.
At this point, the sprouted grains can make 1 more batch of rejuvelac. Refill the jar with fresh water and ferment again—but this time for only 24 hours. Use the leftover sprouts to feed to your chickens, rabbits or birds. You can also put them in the compost bin for your garden.
How to Use Rejuvelac
Rejuvelac should taste tart, like lemonade should, but not sour or rotten. If you don’t like the flavor of rejuvelac, add fruit, spices or tea to give it a kick!
- Put 1 cup rejuvelac in blender with ½ – 1 cup fruit and blend. Favorite fruit additions: mango, strawberries, raspberries, pineapple, peaches, pears, goji berries, dates, raisins, and blueberries.
- Favorite combinations: raisins and licorice sticks, raisins and sassafras bark, dates and peppermint leaves, figs and cinnamon, raisins and star anise.
- Add mulling spices.
- Steep 1 fruit tea bag in the rejuvelac for 2 hours.
- Add to green smoothies or fruit smoothies.
- Add lemon juice.
- Add honey.
- Use in soups.
- Use in salad dressings.