©2013 Shanna Lea (formerly Shanna Ohmes)
This is one of my favorite pickle recipes to make and with gardening season just around the corner, now is a good time to plan for that abundant harvest of cucumbers.
Lacto-fermented pickles are healthier for you than commercially prepared pickles, providing dense nutrients and good bacteria for your digestive system.
Lacto-Fermentation Pickles Recipe
1 tablespoon sea salt
4 tablespoons whey
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
2 tablespoons dill seed
1 cup filtered water
1 quart canning jar
How to make whey:
- Line a strainer with cheesecloth and set over a large bowl.
- Pour one carton of plain yogurt into the strainer.
- Let it set for 12-24 hours, or overnight.
- The liquid that drains off the yogurt is the whey
- Use the leftover curds for any cream cheese recipe
How to make the pickles:
- Slice the cucumbers ¼” thick and put them in the jar
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and pour over cucumbers
- Make sure the liquid covers the pickles, and still leaves 1” headroom, adding more water if needed
- Let set out on your kitchen counter for 3 days and then transfer to your refrigerator