If you find this post useful, please take one second to like, share, or tweet it. Thanks!
© 2013 Shanna Lea
Have you wondered if there’s a quick and easy way to chop an onion, hopefully before the tears start running down your face? Try this quick method shown by Jamie Oliver in his video “How to Chop an Onion”, to learn how to dice an onion quickly.
In the video below, Jamie Oliver demonstrates 2 methods: slicing an onion and chopping an onion.
How to Slice an Onion
- Cut an onion in half
- If you want the onion to stay together, keep the core on
- Hold the onion down with one hand, gripping it with your fingers like a “claw” to keep them out of the way
- With your other hand, cut thin slices
- As soon as the onion gets wobbly, turn it on its side for safety and finish slicing
- Keeping the core intact holds the onion slices together
- For some dishes this is the preferred method
- If you don’t want the slices intact, simply cut away the core before slicing
How to Chop an Onion
- Remove end of the onion but keep the core intact
- Cut the onion in half
- Cut slices ¾ of the way towards the core, keeping the end of the onion intact
- Twist the onion away from you
- Make 2-3 slices through the end of the onion (horizontally) towards the core
- Now slice downwards to dice the entire onion