If you find this post useful, please take one second to like, share, or tweet it. Thanks!
© 2014 Shanna Lea
If you are looking for a new juicer, you’ll soon realize there are two main types of juicing machines available: centrifugal and masticating. Each unit has numerous pros and cons and your decision on which to purchase will come down to personal preference. In general, you will find that:
- Costs less
- Easier to clean and operate
- Operates faster than masticating units
- Quieter operation
- Lot more efficient in juice extraction
- Pays for itself by cutting grocery costs
Masticating juicers get their name from the word masticate, which means “to chew”. The masticating juicer has a screw-like auger mechanism that slowly grinds fruits and vegetables fed into the machine. This process makes this machine efficient and quiet compared to centrifugal juicers.
As a rule, you will invest more in a quality masticating juicer than you would from centrifugal unit. But—it will give you higher juice yields for the same amount of produce you would put through the centrifugal machine, saving you money. Plus, the juicer is much quieter to operate. And there are more advantages to consider:
- Juicing leafy greens and wheat grass has become popular. A centrifugal juicer simply can’t extract as much juice from greens as the masticating juicer. With the masticating juicer you will get a higher yield of juice from nutrient dense foods like wheat grass, spinach, cabbage and kale.
- Masticating juicing machines incorporate a lot less oxygen into your juice than centrifugal machines. This gives the juice a deep color and rich full flavor. And less oxygen in the juice means you can store it in the refrigerator up to 3 full days. With the centrifugal process, it’s recommended you drink the juice within 24 hours. Less air in your juice means less bloating and unpleasant gas for you.
Even though you’ll invest more in a masticating juicer up front, you’re also investing in your health because there’s less oxygen in your juice. That means you’re juice will last longer and taste better. Another benefit is if you need to make juice early in the morning or late at night when everyone else is asleep, you won’t disturb them.
You want to benefit from the amazing health benefits of juicing for a long time, and even the most affordable masticating juicers provide years of efficient and quiet operation with minimal upkeep and quiet operation with minimal upkeep on your part. The stainless steel construction and other design features make them stylish accessories for any kitchen.
There are many high quality affordable masticating juice machines with high customer ratings. In fact, some features that are considered “basic” on masticating units are considered high end and expensive upgrades on centrifugal juicers. In some cases, a masticating model will cost less than a less efficient centrifugal unit.
It pays to do your research first before investing in any juicing machine. If you decide a full-featured and extremely quiet masticating juicer is best for you and your family, it’s time to choose the right one. With so many options available, narrowing it down to just one can be a little confusing.
As with any decision on a significant purchase, it comes down to personal preference. You’ll want to determine what features are most important to you and your budget. Once you know your “must haves” are and what you can live without—finding the perfect masticating juicing machine will be a breeze.