If you find this post useful, please take one second to like, share, or tweet it. Thanks!
© 2014 Shanna Lea
Coffee. Most of us enjoy a cup of coffee first thing in the morning, but if you are relying on it to get you going, then it’s time to change up your routine and get a healthier drink. Coffee can be addictive and can also impact your adrenals. So switch to an herbal tea or infusion to rebuild your health instead.
Reasons to Replace Coffee with Herbal Teas and Infusions
- Tea contains less caffeine than coffee—black and green and other teas have far less caffeine than coffee.
- Tea is beneficial for your health—green tea is rich in polyphenols, an antioxidant that protects against various types of cancer.
- Tea can help you lose weight—experts recommend tea to anyone starting a diet, because tea contains far less calories than coffee drinks like lattes and espressos.
- Tea is a natural energy booster—some tea, like black tea, have a similar boost like coffee due to its caffeine. However, the polyphenols in tea make the body process caffeine in a different way.
- Herbal teas and infusions boost your immunity and health—there are several herbal teas and infusions you can rotate throughout the week and never get bored. Peppermint, lavender, dandelion root, lemongrass, nettle, raspberry, Hawthorne and Goji berry are just a few. Infusions are stronger and more medicinal than teas and can be a good source of minerals.
Be sure your herbal sources are organic and sustainable. Many sources spray pesticides on herbs meant for teas. I have always used Mountain Rose Herbs for bulk herbs and love all their products.
How to Make an Herbal Tea
Pour boiling water over 1 teaspoon of your favorite herb in a cup and let steep 5-10 minutes.
How to Make an Herbal Infusion
Pour boiling water over 1 ounce (by weight) of dried herb in a quart canning jar. Cap and let steep 4-8 hours. This longer steeping time draws out the minerals from the herbs like nettles and oat straw to nourish your body.
In this video, Susun Weed shows you how to make an infusion.
Replacing coffee with a variety of herbal teas and infusions is more effective than trying to stop drinking coffee products altogether. Just switch to an herbal tea or infusion and enjoy the health benefits without the harmful side effects of coffee.