If you find this post useful, please take one second to like, share, or tweet it. Thanks!
© 2014 Shanna Lea
Washing your hands thoroughly and more often is one of the easiest ways to protect yourself from the common cold, flu and other infectious diseases. This healthy habit also helps prevent the spread of diseases to others.
What are the Proper Methods of Hand Washing?
Hand washing is something we do everyday. It may seem simple and straight forward, but there are certain steps you should follow to ensure proper hygiene.
- Wash your hands with soap for a minimum of 20 seconds. If you don’t have access to regular soap, consider using an a cleanser made with essential oils. Puracy Natural Liquid Hand Soap contains NO triclosan, SLS, parabens, petroleum-based ingredients harsh chemicals or animal by-products. Keep a travel size hand sanitizer clipped to your purse for when you are out shopping.
- Remove any jewelry prior to washing your hands.
- Wet your hands with warm water, add soap and rub for 20 seconds.
- Wash the front and back of your hands, in between fingers and under the nails.
- Rinse and wipe dry gently with a clean towel.
- Use a moisturizer if you have dry, sensitive skin.
If you want to make your own natural hand sanitizer, it’s easy.
You just need witch hazel extract or high-proof vodka, vitamin E oil, aloe vera gel, and essential oils of lavender and tea tree oil. You can get most of the ingredients at Mountain Rose Herbs.
How to Make Natural Hand Sanitizer Recipe
30 drops tea tree essential oil
10 drops lavender essential oil
¼ teaspoon Vitamin E oil
1 Tablespoon witch hazel extract (or high-proof vodka)
8 oz aloe vera gel
In a glass bowl, mix the essential oils with the Vitamin E, mix in the witch hazel (or vodka), and then mix in the aloe vera gel. Put in a small bottle and shake gently before using.
Don’t forget to wash your hands after coughing, sneezing, before and after eating, after petting an animal and using the bathroom.
Sources for Natural Hand Sanitizers and Ingredients