How to Make Oxtail Bone Broth to Build Bone Health

A Soothing Broth

If you find this post useful, please take one second to like, share, or tweet it. Thanks!

©2013 Shanna Lea (formerly Shanna Ohmes)

I’ve made bone broth from scratch for years, using beef, chicken and turkey bones leftover from meals and holidays.  The method I used was boiling down the bones in a big pot of water all day, then adding it to soup or freezing it.  The way I did it was to skim off the foam from the surface and just simmered it all day until evening.

Recently, my Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) Practitioner explained to me another way to make this broth to strengthen the brain and bones, which is a function of the kidneys in TCM, as well as strengthening the spleen and overall health.  The recipe he gave me was by Dr Wu (Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Chengdu, Sichuan Province, China), and I combined it with a recipe I’ve used before.  It turned out to make the most delicious broth!

Although the method takes longer (6+ days), I was won over by the soul satisfying taste and how I felt after eating it:  a complete sense of well-being.  I added it to soups, meat dishes and also drank it by the cup.

How to Make Oxtail Bone BrothPrime Pacific 18/10 Stainless Steel 20 Quart Stock Pot With Glass Lid

What You’ll Need:

1 package oxtail bones

water

2-3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar

large stockpot

Put the oxtail bones in the stockpot and add water to fill it halfway.  Bring to a boil, and boil for about 15-20 minutes until a lot of scummy foam appears on the surface of the water.  Don’t worry, this is just the impurities boiling off.

Dump all the water off and add fresh water, and now the vinegar, to refill the stockpot to within a few inches from the top.  Bring back to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer.  Keep filling the stockpot with hot water throughout the day and keep it simmering.

At the end of the day, refrigerate the broth and bones in a pitcher and start again the next morning.

Beef Oxtail Bones available from US Wellness Meats

Here’s the secret I learned to making the broth rich and brimming with nutrition:  it needs to boil until the bones are soft enough to crumble.  Then you crumble the bones into the broth.

For me, this process took 6 days and the bones were just beginning to crumble in my fingers.  As my schedule changed, I was not able to experiment further, but I savored every drop of that broth.

I’ve never tasted anything like it before.  It was rich, smooth and had that soul satisfaction that literally went straight to my bones!

Tender Grassfed Meat

***

Don’t Miss Another Blog Post!

commentscomments

1. […] How to Make Oxtail Bone Broth to Build Bone Health (this is a very healing version on broth) by The Natural Living Site […]

2. Louise Reinier says:

what happens with the cider vinager??

3. Louise Reinier says:

what about the cider vinager??

4. Shalonne says:

Sounds wonderful! Have you tried this method with any other types of bones? Chicken or pork? Once you crumble the bones into the broth, do they get strained out at the end or do you crumble them enough to drink them?

5. Shanna Lea says:

Hi Louise
    You don’t taste the cider vinegar. It pulls more minerals out of the bones while cooking. You can also use red wine to do this.

6. Shanna Lea says:

HI Shalonne– I have my free-range chicken bones saved in the freezer to do this. I have made broth from chicken, turkey, pork and lamb before and they are all good. The key to getting them soft enough to crumble is in the very long (for several days) cooking time. I crumbled the parts of the bone that were soft enough to crumble and added to soup/meals. ~ ~ ~ shanna lea

7. cookie says:

What do you think? How about continuous cooking in the crockpot?

8. Shanna Lea says:

I have not tried it yet, but I plan to this winter. I have been told to make sure to start it on the stove top first, get it boiling well, before transferring to the crockpot. Let me know if you try it and how it goes for you! I’m anxious to hear. :)

9. Sandy says:

I think what Louise and I both wanted to know was when do you add the vinegar ? It doesn`t say , iy just says add water and bones !
    Thank you ! I am excited to try this , just wasn`t sure when to add vinegar .

10. Shanna Lea says:

I fixed it. Sorry it was left out and thank you for bringing it to my attention.
    I add the vinegar in with the 2nd batch of water. In Sally Fallon’s book “Nourishing Traditions” she explains that the vinegar helps pull more minerals out of the bones and into the broth. That is why I use it. ~ ~ ~ shanna lea

11. Linley says:

this always sounds great & good for you ect but the “all day electricity running to produce this seems to out weigh !

12. Shanna Lea says:

When considering the deep nutrition I am getting that is repairing my body, there is no problem running electricity for it. Our ancestors always kept a pot of broth on the fire going all the time. Perpetual Broth. Always adding to it and keeping it on the fire. :)

13. Amber says:

Hello. Thank you for sharing. In all the following days, so you continue to add vinegar as the broth cooks, or just with the new fresh water on the first day, please?
    I’ve never cooked more than a few hours, which already tastes amazing, so this will be even better!
    Thanks, again!

14. Shanna Lea says:

Hi,
    Sometimes I might add just a bit more vinegar but not always. It’s just a personal preference.
    Enjoy your broth making!!

Shanna

15. Olof says:

Hi,
    When you say that the bones crumbled, when they were ready, do you mean that they are completely dissolved into the broth, or did you take them out of the water after six days?

Best regards

16. Shanna Lea says:

Hi Olof,
    The bones did not completely dissolve, but I was able to crumble parts of the bones between my fingers. Recently, I have made broth with chicken bones, in the crockpot, which took a lot less time–24 hours or so. The chicken bones did get soft enough that I smashed all of them and put them back into the broth. Now, I prefer the crockpot method and will try it with the oxtails sometime to see what happens. Thanks for your question :)

Shanna Lea

17. Olof says:

Okay!

I guess the meaty parts, of the oxtail, dissolved into the water after such a long cooking-time right?

And I am also curious if you flavored the soup somehow, when it was finished?